Saturday, January 05, 2008

Himara, My Odyssey


Himara, My Odyssey

By Father Kosmas Karavellas


With many things going though my mind as I approached Himara for my third visit, I was once again taken by the mere beauty of the location of Himara; the sea in the west and the mountains above the coastline of Himara and her villages. My journey was to visit my ailing uncle and to take some gifts from my parish in Annapolis, Maryland to the children at the Greek School in Himara. I had the great honor to have been received with great warmth from the Mayor Mr. Bollanos and his people. I met with the instructors of the Greek School and visited the facilities and I was very impressed by both. The several pictures that accompany this report begin with the beautiful entrance with the olive tree path and the entrance of the school. It is a two story building with a playground in the back. When I visited, they had twenty-three students enrolled in May 2007; in September 2007, they hadseventy-five students enrolled. The needs are many and I believe this is a great project for us all to help in. I ask for any individual or chapter that can help, to please do so, your help is needed and most welcomed. The needs for the school:

1) Computers for the children and teaching labs

2) School Buses to reach out and bring children from the south and north villages to school; to give every child and opportunity, not only the ones in the neighborhood.

3) Fund to subsidize the teachers for extra activities that they would teach.

(Local dance, music, costumes, traditions, etc.)
Please feel free to contact me at fatherkosmas@schogochurch.org or at 2747 Riva Road, Annapolis, MD 21401, if you wish to help and assist in this very worthwhile project. My trip was short, but once again it left me in awe of the beauty of the land, the hospitality of the people, the warmth of relatives, and the future, if there is any, of the children that are residents of Himara.
As I left the region, I could not stop thinking of the wonderful people that had come into my life and the sense of belonging that I had never felt before. I have recommitted myself in continuing efforts to better our Himara and to bring awareness to our minority status in Albania.
Happy New Year

Father Kosmas Karavellas

No comments: