Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Britain’s relationship with Europe-Tony Blair's Interview,


TRANSCRIPT of the TONY BLAIR's  INTERVIEW, FORMER PRIME MINISTER
FEBRUARY 3rd 2013
 (Presented by Sian Williams in “THE ANDREW MARR SHOW” )

SIAN WILLIAMS:
Can I turn to Europe, which is a battle that David Cameron is having. At the moment he wants to reform Britain’s relationship with Europe and then have an in-out referendum. You said that when you heard his speech 90 per cent of it resonated with you; you agreed with 90 per cent of David Cameron’s speech on Europe. What about the in-out referendum? Wouldn’t that be a way of solving things once and for all, drawing a line under it?
TONY BLAIR:
Well it’s not a way of solving things. I mean, look, if the case is why should Europe reform, I mean I’m 100 per cent with him and that’s the case been made by British prime ministers - Margaret Thatcher, John Major, myself, Gordon Brown, everyone - and it’s absolutely right. And by the way, step by step there have been significant reforms in Europe as a result of that. So where it’s about should Europe reform, I’m 100 per cent with him actually. It’s where you say but if it doesn’t, then we want out. That … you know to put the out question on the ballot paper, I mean first of all it creates … I mean we’re now in an uncertain situation. I mean everywhere I go people say to me “Is Britain really going to get out of Europe?” You can’t answer that question conclusively now. And, secondly, the fact is the overwhelming likelihood is that what will happen is he will try to get certain changes in Europe. He may get some changes in Europe.
SIAN WILLIAMS:
He’ll only get them by saying there’s going to be a referendum if you do it, surely?
TONY BLAIR:
I’m not sure about that because, remember, other countries in Europe also have their politics. See if you’re talking about reforming Europe, you’re talking about the interests of 27. If you’re saying this is about Britain’s relationship with Europe, it’s one versus 26. So you’d better make sure that they’re all lined up behind that because if they’re not and any one of them say no … I mean I can’t really believe David Cameron thinks it’s sensible to get out of Europe even if he doesn’t achieve all of that agenda. You see what I mean? So you’re in a situation where, look obviously it depends if he gets re-elected, but you’re in a situation where four or five years down the line, until then there’s uncertainty. And at that point, you know who knows what might happen; and if Britain did vote to go out, I think it would be a huge problem for our country. Because the thing to realise about Europe today is the rationale for Europe is not about peace. That was my father’s generation. The rationale for Europe today is power. You know in a world of China with 1.3 billion people and India with over a billion and increasingly because of mobile capital and technology, you know the weight of your country’s economy is linked to your population. So in time to come, Britain - sixty million people, you know a small island nation - if we want to exercise weight and influence and power in the world, why would we separate ourselves from the biggest political union and largest business market right on our doorstep? So you know …
SIAN WILLIAMS:
If there is a referendum, you would stand alongside David Cameron, Ed Miliband, everybody else who would be campaigning to stay in the European Union?
TONY BLAIR:
Sure - if they campaigned to stay in, of course. I mean if it got to that, you would be doing that. But I think the tricky question is this. Supposing … Because, look, you know I’ve spent ten years going through these European negotiations …
SIAN WILLIAMS:
And you wanted an in-out referendum at one stage. We have to say that. In 2005, on the EU Constitution …
TONY BLAIR:
(over) No, no, not an in-out referendum.
SIAN WILLIAMS:
Well hang on. “ I thought we might turn it into a referendum that was effectively in or out” is what you say in your memoirs.
TONY BLAIR:
Yeah, but …
SIAN WILLIAMS:
“I fancied mounting a really big argument on the issue I felt strongly about, and on which I was right. Although plainly a tough challenge, I relished the fight.”
TONY BLAIR:
Exactly, but that would have been a referendum saying do you agree the new European Constitution or not. It wouldn’t have been a referendum saying if you don’t, we should leave. Now the fact of the matter is you know if we’d ended up … Look, I had to have a referendum because Europe had proposed a new constitution. I was very reluctant to do that, but in the end I accepted we had to have it. What we are doing in this instance is not … Because this would be perfectly sensible if David Cameron said, “I’ve agreed a certain amount of changes and now I want to put those changes to a referendum.” That’s one thing. It’s the ‘out’ bit of it because once you put that on the ballot paper, you know you’re then in a situation where who knows what the circumstances will be. And the problem with referendums, which is why you know you should only use them where it’s absolutely necessary, is … I think it was General de Gaulle once said “it’s as much about who asks the question as the question.” So you’ve got to be careful.
SIAN WILLIAMS:
I don’t know whether you heard Deborah Mattinson earlier. Deborah, as you know, has been involved in public opinion polling for thirty years. And she says at the moment looking at Labour, that the Conservatives seem to have a message - whether it’s Europe or whether it’s public sector reform - seem to have quite a clear message. When it comes to Labour, the public aren’t quite clear what it stands for now. Are you?
TONY BLAIR:
Yeah, I think I’m pretty clear what it stands for.
SIAN WILLIAMS:
What does it?
TONY BLAIR:
Well I think it stands for a society in which you combine economic prosperity with social justice. That’s always what the Labour Party stood for.
SIAN WILLIAMS:
But you had New Labour and Ed Miliband sort of sidelined that in his conference speech and said right, now we’re One Nation. What does that mean?
TONY BLAIR:
Well I think what it means is that in circumstances where the country’s got very difficult challenges, it’s important that it handles them as one and that you don’t end up simply governing for a small group of people at the top. So you know I understand the Labour Party message. And by the way what Ed’s trying to do is tougher than what I had to do. When I became Labour Leader, we’d lost four elections, right? This

is attempting to bounce back and win after a heavy defeat, so that is a …
SIAN WILLIAMS:
But you have a clear strategy about what Labour was and what it needed to do to win …
TONY BLAIR:
Sure, but I think he would say …
SIAN WILLIAMS:
… before you came in in 97. What is Ed Miliband’s clear vision? What is the one big message he’s got to …
TONY BLAIR:
(over) It’s the one you’ve just given, which is that if we face these difficult and testing times, we should face them together; that the burden should be shared equally; and that we’ve got to create an economy for the future in which opportunity is given to the many and not the few. So I don’t think it’s a problem with the vision actually. I think what there will be is a big challenge when it comes to how do you translate that vision into practical policy, and that’s for later in this year when the Labour Party will start to unveil its policies. But you know this is a situation where the economy is very tough, where we’re going to face the situation (whoever’s in government) where they’re going to be very constrained, and that’s why it will be important for the Labour Party to show they are reformers and they’re able to reform public services, welfare, the state and so on as well as simply protect people who are vulnerable.
SIAN WILLIAMS:
So a clear policy has to emerge by the end of this year? I mean that is what you seem to be saying if they’re going to win the election.
TONY BLAIR:
They’re an opposition party. So I don’t favour as an opposition party you know hugely detailed policy, but the orientation’s going to be clear
SIAN WILLIAMS:
Do you advise Ed Miliband? Does he talk to you about these things?
TONY BLAIR:
I talk to him, but I don’t … you know I don’t presume to advise him or anyone else.
SIAN WILLIAMS:
You talk to David Cameron it appears in the papers, yes?
TONY BLAIR:
I of course …
SIAN WILLIAMS:
Officially, unofficially, both?
TONY BLAIR:
I talk to him from time to time as well. I mean I … Look, you know when you’ve gone through all this and you’ve sat in the seat both as Leader of the Opposition and Prime Minister, you know how damn difficult both jobs are. So I don’t … You know I come to it with also a sense of - believe it or not - humility about this. I know it’s really difficult and so the last thing I want to do with either individual, by the way, is end up you know being one of those sort of pains in the neck that sort of sit in the back seat saying “Hey, I would have done this and I would have done that.” Now on something like Europe, you know I will speak out, but even then I try and do it respectfully. But I don’t … you know for Ed and for David Cameron, if they ever want help or advice, I would try and give it in what I thought was the best interests of the country.
SIAN WILLIAMS:
So much more we could get through, but that’s all we have time for. Thank you very much, Tony Blair.
TONY BLAIR:
Thank you, Sian.
INTERVIEW ENDS

No comments: